Sunday, January 16, 2011

Craft Book Challenge - January

I have what some may call a bordering-on-the-ridiculous number of craft books. What can I say? I love craft books! I love to peruse the pages of a new craft book, soaking up all the gorgeous photographs, being inspired by the possibility of so many new projects, enjoying the artistry and style of each author. I'm a craft book junkie. So when I saw the Craft Book Challenge on Liesl Made I knew it was the perfect challenge for me to undertake this year.
To kick off the challenge, I used my current favorite fabric, Bliss by Bonnie & Camille for Moda, to make Tone Finnanger's fabric basket in Sew Pretty Homestyle. I've been wanting to make some fabric baskets for the craft room so this seemed like the perfect first project for the challenge. In theory, it is both beautiful and practical. In reality, a fabric basket made this way is going to have some give, so I have to be realistic about what I'm going to use it to store. It's not exactly as practical as a plastic bin but it's a lot more attractive, despite my imperfect sewing, so I will make up a few more and use them for storing things that I like to look at, like my embroidery supplies, yarn, and favorite scraps of fabric.
I changed the dimensions slightly, from Tone's original instructions, only because I wanted to use this spotty red fabric and I didn't have quite enough. Overall the project was easy to complete, but I did find it a little bit fussier than it seems when you read through the instructions. I got some puckering in the fabric and batting, and I was slightly frustrated that I couldn't get the bottom exactly right. However, I suspect that if I try it again I will have a little more success, since I now know firsthand what are going to be my trouble spots. For now, I'm going to call it good and go make the kids a snack.
Happy Crafting!
Kate



8 comments:

  1. Oh, this fabric is so cheery! I love it! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make one of these! The Tiny Apartment could use some organization in the form of adorable fabric baskets :)

    Along with Liesl, I am starting a Flickr Group for the Craft Book Challenge. We would love you to join up and post your photos there! Here is the link:

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/craftbookchallenge2011

    Gabrielle
    TinyApartmentCrafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute--I love polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great comments! And yes, I would love to join the Flickr group, thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I love the fabric you chose! I usually just cover some cardboard boxes with fabric. But to make one from scratch would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. I just made a project from the same book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabric basket. I looked at some of your older posts...loving your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that fabric so much. I've got the Tone Finnegar book, I might have to have a go at that basket for next month's challenge.

    ReplyDelete